In 2018, Holy Redeemer Parish undertook the sponsorship of the Kalalas, a Roman Catholic family of adult siblings and their 6-year old niece from the Republic of Congo. Sponsorship includes financial as well as emotional and physical support for one year.
Gladys, Olga, Anaclet, Gaston and Athanase are currently refugees in Bujumbura - Burundi living with no assistance and the barest of basic necessities. Originally, they were a family of 16 people caught in a civil war in the East part of Congo DRC. Only five of them made it to a relatively safe place in Bujumbura.
- Gladys is the youngest of this refugee family. She is 6 years old. Both her parents died as a result of injuries sustained during an attack on their village and at this time, she still does not know what happened to her younger sister.
- Olga is 19 years old. She is Gladys’ dad’s sister. She mostly takes care of Gladys and hopes to get an education one day.
- Anaclet is 25 years old. He is Olga’s brother and Gladys’ dad’s brother.
- Gaston is 27 years old. He is also Olga’s brother and Gladys’ dad’s brother
- Athanase is 28 years old. He is another of Olga’s brother and Gladys’ dad’s brother.
Please keep them in your prayers as we wait for their arrival in Canada in 2020.
For more information on our Refugee Ministry, please contact: Mary-Lou Hakansson (613) 592-3530 or Cathy Deogrades (613) 599-6515